SLAAM
Slog Across America

Comments

Showing: 1-25 of 199
1 2 3 4 5 Next
David T. Irvine said:   June 20, 2012 1:53 pm PST
Hello Jay & Barbara; Congrats on completing your ride despite the dreadful trail conditions from Harpers Ferry southward. I'm the guy who was admiring your bikes at HF. Incidentally, I visited the Visitors Center later, and upon inquiry learned that he US Park Service is responsible for that steel stairway connecting the ped walkway with the Canal Trail. I shared with a Park person my experience with conveying a loaded bike over such stairways and took the liberty of describing your experience with this one. The Park person invited me to write my comments on a standard form she provided, which I did. I suggested perhaps a 3-inch wide nonskid ramp up the center of each stairway section may be helpful rather than lifting a bike over every stair riser. I also expressed thanks that the Park Service had provided a relatively safe way to get across the river and into town from the trail. The form asked if I wanted a reply to which I answered "Yes" so we'll see what comes of it. Best wishes, DTI

Twila Ingram said:   June 20, 2012 7:20 am PST
WOW! A job so well done! Congrats to you both~, Bill and I look up to you both as an inspiration, and not a small amount of envy!

Judith said:   June 17, 2012 5:20 pm PST
Wooohooo! Sis boom Bah! Outstanding and congrats! Looking forward to seeing you at a gathering to chat and hear stories in first person when y'all are ready. So glad you stuck it out and finished through all the challenges and (really) bad food.

Roland Feige said:   June 15, 2012 8:55 am PST
CONGRATULATIONS, you are amazing, what an accomplishment. Absolutely proud of you and happy that you made it safely. Great finish. The only bad part is, that now I don't have a blog to read every day. Here is a thought, if you were to turn around and ride back the other way, you could go down all those hill you had to ride up. Congrats again, rest up and enjoy the memories.

Eileen said:   June 15, 2012 6:27 am PST
Well Done! I am inspired by you. I'm so glad you stopped by AAA in rural Misssouri. Congrats!!

Gary Elmer said:   June 14, 2012 9:49 pm PST
Just a super neat way to experience the accomplishment of your goal with close family and friends! Now what are your fans to do without your daily blog to read? Watch the Padres? Congrats!!!!!!!!

Bridget and Linda said:   June 14, 2012 7:59 pm PST
BRAVO! To the dynamic duo. Not only did you inspire us with your journey but also as a couple. A lovely blend of qualities. Lessons from the road. Thank you. See you soon. Love. B&L

Cynthia said:   June 14, 2012 4:42 pm PST
WOW...even a welcome salute from the helicopters!!! You guys really rate! :-) What a wonderful, wonderful accomplishment. You two weren't the only ones with tears.......We are so proud of you.

Connie Snow-Graves said:   June 14, 2012 3:44 pm PST
OMG you guys are something! What a trip! Congratulations!!!!! And you guys look so buffed and healthy!!! Oh, but now what are we going to do in the evenings now that we won't have your journal to entertain us? : ) Again, Congrats!!

Ken K said:   June 14, 2012 2:06 pm PST
Way to go, Barbara and Jay! What an adventure. Congratulations on surviving it all! Can't wait to throw you a party when you get back to San Diego.

Valerie Stevenson said:   June 14, 2012 11:46 am PST
I don't usually approve of the use of the word "awesome," but I'm going to make an exception in this one case. And I'm even going to add an intensifying modifier, which technically shouldn't really be possible with this particular word. In further wanton disregard for the rules of rhetorical decorum, I'm also going to use shouty capital letters and multiple exclamation marks. I just want you to know this is all deliberate. So, ready? TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

Sharon said:   June 14, 2012 11:26 am PST
Congratulations! You are truly an inspiration to us all!

Lisa Radnovic said:   June 14, 2012 10:53 am PST
Congratulations to the both of you. Will real life be too boring once you return home? I must agree with the others, I am awed by your accomplishment, so happy for you that you made it safely to the end of your journey and am selfishly contemplating what the heck am I going to look forward to reading now at the end of my day???? Have a great celebration there and a great trip home.

Eric said:   June 14, 2012 9:05 am PST
So, do you miss fish tacos yet? Now, what am I going to read everyday? Congratulations. I am sure the good memories will stay with you forever, and the tough ones will contribute to your sense of accomplishment, What next?

Jeff said:   June 14, 2012 8:20 am PST
By now you've finished the journey. What a great accomplishment. Guess the ony thing left to do is GET BACK ON THOSE BIKES AND PEDAL HOME!!!!!!. NOT Can't wait to see you both. Relish the day.

Sharon said:   June 14, 2012 12:18 am PST
Enjoy today!

Diana said:   June 13, 2012 8:49 pm PST
Congratulations!. Thank you for sharing your wonderful journey. The descriptions of your adventures have made me laugh out loud and at times had me checking constantly to learn that you were safe for the night. So where next?

Merle said:   June 13, 2012 8:23 pm PST
Jay and Barbara, Thanks for sharing your great adventure and congratulations on finishing such a difficult journey. We've loved following the entire trip. We can't wait to hear the rest of the stories. Merle

Linda Hotchkiss said:   June 13, 2012 7:02 pm PST
Is that a puppy or are you trying to rustle up some more food?? You didn't look hungry.............. xo,Linda

Pat said:   June 13, 2012 3:28 pm PST
Geez! I thought the bike trail would be "easy!" Enjoy the end of the ride. I find myself thinking of you both and smiling! It is awesome to complete a dream!

Chris said:   June 13, 2012 5:35 am PST
In the past people would say to me "How are you?". Now they say "Where's your sister?" instead. I'll be happy when you compete your trip! You're almost there! I'm so proud of you! ILY!

E said:   June 12, 2012 12:20 pm PST
Zeus! You are unrecognizable! I thought I was getting a bit harried after all this time...

Martha said:   June 12, 2012 7:40 am PST
Snake? SNAKE! I'm visualizing the daily blog on daily life, which we all expect upon your return! You just cannot allow all this potential withdrawal - kind of like when the Olympics are over. Much love and profound admiration.

pat said:   June 10, 2012 7:22 pm PST
I'm sooooo glad you are on the bike trail! You are probably even more glad! Enjoy the rest of the ride and I hope you can coast into DC. You both are awesome!

Kristi & Nate said:   June 10, 2012 2:47 pm PST
SO CLOSE! Cherish each sight, hill & awful meal until you finish. We can't wait to catch up! PS-Zeus is missing you mucho.

Sign My Guest Book